Skip to main content

Peace Force

My daughter first expressed an interest in becoming a police officer after a police woman came to her preschool to talk about her job.  When she came home, she explained with great earnestness that police "help dead people".  Her interest in law enforcement was not entirely a surprise since she really likes to be clear about what is right and what is wrong, but when we dug a little, it turned out that the thing she liked the most was "her voice".  Her interest in policing endured.  Having only ever wanted to be a teacher, or a helicopter pilot (remember Danger Bay?) or a dancing missionary (I'll tell you about that one another time) myself, I could not really relate.  She, and later her brother, continued to enjoy games with their friends involving putting people in jail (usually their Dad) and taking turns being police officer #1 and police office #2.  

This has changed a bit, ever since my mother introduced my daughter to a great book called Wangari's Trees of Peace about the activist Wangari Maathai who won the Nobel Peace Prize for her work fighting deforestation in Kenya.  In the story, the writer tells about how Wangari even went to jail for her beliefs.  This made a big impression on my daughter.  She told me about the story (that she had already read several times by this point) and made it known that it is indeed possible to go to jail for doing the right thing not just for doing something wrong.

This interest in making sense of questions of justice, and right and wrong is understandable to me now as I begin to realize that these concept are among the one that they grapple with the most at this stage in their lives.  My youngest is now starting to tackle these concepts too.  Just the other day, he said, "if adults use bad words, they go to jail, right?"  Well...(sigh),... I certainly hope not!

Here is a lovely story told by Wangari, who passed away last year, about working for peace:

Comments

  1. I can totally relate to Danger Bay and the teacher bit, but a dancing missionary is one I'll need to hear more about! :)

    Your daughter has an enlightened soul, I think, Erin. The video is powerful too, but in a way that children can grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dancing missionaries, that is a post all on its own : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like there's a new book on the list... thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?