Skip to main content

Boston

We pretty much only have one reliable channel on our t.v.  There are certainly no shortage of entertainment options.  I will always regret ever distractedly handing over my iphone to a whiny someone to keep them going during a long wait, for example. However, when it comes to straight up t.v.,  pbs is really the only channel that provides children's programming, which , lucky for us, is excellent.

Now, Arthur and Curious George and Ruff Ruffman (especially, good old Ruff) and Electric Company are daily staples.  Ruff Ruffman is a like a live action game show for kids 6-12 and the kids do challenges like write a p.r press release on the turkey vulture (whose claim to fame is throwing up) and building a bear proof picnic basket.  My daughter informed me that she would like to audition for Ruff Ruffman and she keeps me posted about how to do so by letting me know what the website is and insisting on how we must make a pilgrimage to Boston where the whole thing is filmed.

One of these days it would be fun to go to The Boston Children's Museum where there indeed is a way to get a bit closer to good old Ruff.  She has an encyclopedic memory when it comes to the characters on Ruff Ruffman, naming off the contestants from Season 1 and 3 and 5.  I can certainly relate, given my urge to pick up and park myself in Manchester to get closer to the essence of Coronation Street characters.

This morning as we watched Curious George construct an automated car wash with random household objects (brilliant!) and orchestrate a "wind orchestra" out of pots and pans and clothes on a line, she sighed, "Boston is so cool."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...