Skip to main content

Loose Parts

We've convinced ourselves too many times that this toy or that one is needed or wanted.  However, it has been the "loose parts" that have carried the day with our kids.  My son's discovery of the marvels of a vacuum hose for marble rolling over took any product designed to do the same.  He has often quipped, as he does about any toy that seems to be having a great time, that he wished he himself was a marble and could go down the vacuum hose track.

A pair of 3D movie glasses with the lenses punched out have been frequently thrown into the mix, creating a frisson to a wide range of play scenarios.

The crib mattress has an even higher status.  It has been a trampoline, multiple (multiple!) versions of slides and launchers of all sorts.  It has a place of honour/hiding in our living room from which it is extracted atleast once a day.  It fills all kinds of gaps.

I remember a moment in time when giving my kid a spoon in a restaurant got us through a crucial 15 minute interval.

Loose parts make me have a soft spot of puzzle pieces that have lost their tribe, car parts that have been abandoned to live another day as another part of another toy and even single Barbie shoes.  Their "looseness" sets my kids free to figure out where they can be re-attached.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?