Skip to main content

A quick bread girl turns the page

Around the age of 9 or 10, I learned how to make pancakes.
I began a career of making "quick breads".  I slowly perfected the pancake temperature, committed the recipe to memory. Now I make them once a week without blinking.

The role yeast plays in baking consistently did not get through to me.
Baking soda,baking powder, those were my leaveners of choice.
They were the ingredients that were accessible, uncomplicated and within my technical grasp.
If I did use yeast, which I occasionally felt compelled to do when I attempted pizza dough, it was yet another frustrated reason why I was not a yeast bread girl. I rushed it, I tried to make a "yeast bread" project into a "quick bread" project.

This summer, I finally decided to revive an old family recipe, my grandmother's french rolls.  Their airiness still lingers on my tongue, 30 years after I last had one.

I googled a recipe and reluctantly invested in a whole bottle of yeast.

I faithfully followed the instructions. For once, I resisted making these rolls into quick (but not airy) rolls.

The yeast surprised me. As it first warmed, came to life, it frothed and multiplied. I enjoyed seeing it spread.

I heard someone say, "let the yeast do the work".

I kneaded it for the 8 minutes as they suggested, I let it sit for an hour, it doubled.

It pulled apart in a soft luscious way that quick breads never did.

The yeast indeed did the work.

The yeast reminded me that I don't have to do everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?