Skip to main content

Bolded Text


If you are like me, I've become completely addicted to bolded text. Opening my email, I scan the inbox for a sign that someone wants me to know something.  Over the past 5 years, I've also come to hold my breath each time I open my Facebook account, hoping for a red 1 or 2 or 3 in my message box.

I obviously never used to be this nerved up over bolded text.  It is not the same when you read 
do not forget to bring indoor shoes 
when you are reading something on paper.

So quickly, my whole body, my nervous system, has been trained to take in and hold a shallow breath in my discovery of some of this elusive bolded text.  What am I looking for exactly? 

Connection
Great news
Something mind blowing

What have I been encouraged to expect?

I just came across this classic movie, The Red Balloon at the library. At only 34 minutes, this charming movie follows a boy through a now non-existent part of Paris, and his playful relationship with a red balloon.

There was the red balloon, bright against the grey dingy post-war Paris backdrop. It invited someone to click on it. To open it. For it to lead somewhere else. Instead, it helped tell a simple,yet elegant, tale of the purity and sanctity of childhood.

Bolded text has nothing on red balloons.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...