Skip to main content

Split wide open

I love laughing.
I love laughing a lot.

It is such a deceptively simple statement, but for someone who loves laughing so much, I don't do it nearly as much as I sigh, cry and glower.

Last night, I went to a live taping of This Hour has 22 Minutes.  For anyone who hasn't seen their brilliant work, they are pioneers in modern political satire.  Long before The Daily Show started impaling the powerful, the talented crew at 22 Minutes were cooking it old school.  There were years when that is where I got my most accurate (and scathing) news.

What was so exciting about last night's show was that one of the original 4 cast members was in the house playing one of her more famous characters live.

She plays this mouthy American pundit periodically and last night, she did not disappoint. The character was declaring her intention to move to Canada in light of the recent election results.

What was so great to observe was a veteran master of her craft getting into character.  At one point, after filming it once, she commented, "Oh I was just pretending, not being real." and proceeded to try again.  Her second attempt was indeed better, more real.

Seeing her work it out and go there so fully was mesmerizing.

I laughed a lot both times she did it and throughout the night.

The endorphins were released. I was suddenly straddling a chasm, on the brink of tears. Laughing is fun, but that is not all. It splits a seam right open, exposes hypocrisy, uncovers truth, throws us off balance- even more reasons I need to laugh more than I sigh.






One of my favourites: Angry Yoga


Comments

  1. Oh god angry yoga just killed me. Good way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...