Skip to main content

Cell phone camera gods

I recently took a refreshing and nourishing trip with my mom to two extremely photographed places, Niagara Falls and New York City.  In Niagara Falls especially, you could not not notice the multiple selfie-sticks competing for images along the water front.  People, myself included, crowded together at the look off points to take (near) identical pictures of the falls in spite of the fact that we could easily have just bought postcards depicting it.  It was a way of grasping at the enormity of their grandeur, the oversized scale of their beauty and all the ways they were opening up channels inside us, just like one would expect from an awesome experience in nature.  The falls are awe inspiring and cameras were our feeble attempt to catch the rainbow.

Having said all that, close to the falls there is so much mist that I couldn't actually see through the lens of my cell phone. Time after time, I clicked with no real knowledge of what would come of it. This photo is an example of this blind faith I put in my phone and I take no credit for it (other than for bringing my phone to Niagara Falls).

This picture kind of terrifies me.  It shows the beauty of the falls yes, but it also hints at the massive power behind the beautiful images.

It reminds me of some dreams I have had. Just in the corner of my eye, being aware of a massive whale swimming along side me or in this case a massive tumult of water crashing down next to me. Standing still in the midst of immense power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?