Skip to main content

Living Room





I just got back from a trip to New York city, even though it is relatively close to my city, I had not been there before.  It was up until a few weeks ago, only a legend, a character in a storybook.

I had an amazing time and I felt like the subway was the wardrobe in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I would descend into a tunnel and emerge into the light in a very different neighbourhood than the one I had just left.

The scale of such a densely packed city as Manhattan was a bit mind blowing. I have been to big cities before, but it was quite different than some of the bigger ones I have been.  For one thing, a city like New Delhi really lives inside out.  Poverty and lavish wealth sit side by side.  The same is true in NY but both the wealth and poverty are more concealed in NYC.  It was hard to conceptualize that above our heads at any given moment, there were thousands of people living in apartments (some closet sized, some house sized).  There was a lot going on, so much so, I will never get to see it all, but it made me think about how I live in my tame, quiet city.  I live indoors a lot of the time. I sit behind a computer and  less frequently than I should , venture outside to play or relax or walk to visit. The first morning back to work after my trip, I was struck at how empty the streets were. Even on busy days, the scale of traffic is not comparable.

In NYC, I got the sense that  a lot of the living room was outside--in parks, in restaurants, in libraries and schools and workplaces, even the street.  Apartments , even nice ones are small , and the living gets done outside of them, no matter how "Friends" has misled us about the scale of apartments in the West Village.

As I approach summer, I relish the chance to be comfortable living outside again for a while.  There is so much room, even more than I thought, to live in.  I will try to find living room more outside than in.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...