Skip to main content

Homemade Something


Every year it is the same thing:  "I am going to make my presents this year".  Trouble is, I cannot sew and my skills at making anything that anyone would actually like to have are extremely limited.  I also never give myself enough time.  I know that people who make things that people wear or put books on or in start back in September or October.  Alas, I can bake and mix stuff together though, so I usually go for making bath salts or cookies and put my skills into decorating the packages.  Part of what I like most about this time of year is totally opening myself up to whatever the big box of odds and ends inspires me  to create.  The kids and I sit at the table and assemble all kinds of glittery ornaments and Christmasy things.  For days now, presents have been made and decorations have been planned and created.   The tree has been decorated a few times now and there are several little gift bags and packages under the tree already.  Surprises await! What kind of gifts do you make? What part of your Christmas is homemade?

Comments

  1. Baking for sure! Every now and again something bigger will strike me and I make pieces of "art". The only other thing I would say is that I love this time of year and I hope, sometimes, that my excitement and general good, happy mood is infectious. Maybe not? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?