Skip to main content

Piper Cleaners


I'm not sure how much pipe cleaning pipe cleaners get up to these days, but despite the decline in sales of pipes themselves, the pipe cleaner trade is still strong.  Instead of becoming anachronistic, they have found new purposes that have supplanted the original one. In the hands of my kids, "piper cleaners" are pliant objects that can be suggestive of so many other things.  Lately, they are being shaped into puppets, flowers, crowns and jewellery.  I am constantly amazed how much they get used.  They are called upon at times when nothing else seems to  work.  A car keeps falling from the string it has been dangled from, messing up a bigger plan to connect the whole thing to two pieces of furniture. A pipe cleaner emergency, of a sort, is declared and they are diligently sought out to reinforce the arrangement.  I think they are popular with them because they can so easily be controlled and do what they are supposed to do in that moment.  How about you, what craft supplies do you love to work with? Which ones do you avoid?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?