Skip to main content

Tree

There is a new playground at the neighbourhood school. it is brightly coloured and it has the newest kind of feature, a spider web. It, along with an adjacent one, has plenty of slides and climbing apparatuses.  Close by there is a beautiful tree that is, in places,  almost parallel with the ground. It has several branches splayed out from the the trunk before it climbs upward.  During the week, the tree is off limits.  Kids are not allowed to play on it.  Safety reasons are cited, the childrens' and the tree's!!  However, during the weekends, when we venture over to have a play, the kids completely bypass the fancy playground, save the swings, and head for that tree.  I understand its attraction but I thought I'd ask them:

Mama " Why do you like to climb the tree and not the playground?"
Kid 1: " It's just funner."
Mama: "but why is it more fun?"
Kid 1: "I can make a flag and it has more secret things."
Kid 2: "Yeah, I like climbing it."

Do you know a tree with secret things?  Have you climbed a tree lately? What do your kids like to climb?


Comments

  1. Its amazing when kids always find more fun with the dirt piles, the small hill to roll down, or the wooden spoon and a pot when given the opportunity to play with toys from a store. As a kid, there was a shrub/bush on the front lawn that dad would trim back every couple of years. When the shrub was tall enough I would crawl inside and hide. Blake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?