Skip to main content

Thread Bare

I feel threadbare. I have been writing my way through the winter, partially to keep myself going through dark, hectic days.  I write at nights when I cannot sleep. I take pictures during days that sometimes are full of boredom or drudgery, but also, of course, wonder.  Time at this moment seems to drag on but also is so fleeting that I do not want it to pass unnoticed, unappreciated.

Waking up to the secret world and ushering in the dark night has been making me wonder aloud...should I continue to shine light on those invisible threads or should I leave those musings as private things. Exploring my own inner world and wondering about the inner worlds of my children is surprising and interesting to me and creatively absorving but it also, sometimes, makes me feel vulnerable.  Such delicate threads those mutable memories and impressions that have for so long stayed, confined and bottled, only to be opened and spread out to be picked up, interpreted and thought about by others. Is that wise?  Am I strong enough to leave that tiny entry open?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?