Skip to main content

Dew

Beauty, sweet Love, is like the morning dew, 

Whose short refresh upon the tender green 

Cheers for a time, but till the sun doth show, 
And straight 'tis gone as it had never been. 
-Samuel Daniel



I have been having a rough week in some ways.  All mundane self-imposed challenges, and with a little perspective, unnecessary and superficial ones.  I cried a couple of times when I witnessed my kids wrestle in different ways with some troubles in their lives. I wondered what is going on behind the scenes, even though most of what they experience is still relatively transparent, I wonder also about how hard it will be when I can't peek behind the curtains as much as I can now.


I dropped a lot of little balls, I woke up feeling anxious, and I am not really sure why.  I had so many strands clutched in my hand that I could feel sliding out of my grasp.  What exactly am I worried about? Looking grumpy, being called out, losing ground?


Hard to say.  


Then this morning, in the midst of another busy, hectic morning routine I encountered dew on leaves.  I had brushed past them several other times, but those dew drops stopped me in my tracks today.  They only catch the light like that on grey days.  Their beauty evaporates with sunshine. 


Soon it will be summer.  Beach days will usurp daycare days, picnic lunches will take the place of frozen pizzas, backpacks will be emptied and get filled again with bathing suits and sand.  When the autumn gusts return, I will be ready.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...