Skip to main content

Busy book

When my daughter was about 2 years old, a friend passed along a book called The Toddler's Busy Book. It was written by a mom of several young children and she itemizes dozens of no cost activities that make use of everyday household objects and focuses on feeding kids' imaginations without t.v (and potentially, daycare). They are all great ideas but for me I was often daunted by the toddler book.  At the time, I was cramming all my mothering between daycare pickup and bedtime and weekends.  I often ended up feeling like the book was a record of every interactive creative learning moment I was missing.

Randomly, I'd take the book's suggestions of getting my young daughter to scrub a potato(5 minutes if I was lucky) with a vegetable brush or putting random items into a box for rainy days (10 minutes tops), but my big intentions with the busy book kind of faded.  I still loved the IDEA of the book, it's just that its actual purpose was not drawn upon a whole lot.

When my daughter was about 3 and, thanks to her brother's arrival, I had a bit more time to be around, we somehow got our hands on the Preschooler's Busy Book.  This time, even at her young age, she took over its' implementation.  As soon as she could start grasping the concept of a book of fun ideas, there was no looking back. As she has since improved her ability to read, she continues to consult the busy book on a regular basis, often listing out loud things we need to gather to play post office (a rubber stamp, 1 cent stamps, forms, postcards) or make crayon soap.  The book now is indeed much fuller of possibilities because it now has an in house administrator that ensures each and every idea gets tried.  She's no longer a preschooler but the ideas are cool enough that they can be expanded upon by an older child.

I always find it amusing to see a kid herself reading a book about how to keep kids busy.  That's one way, give them a busy book!



Comments

  1. thats awesome, and part of every mom's goal, right? get the kids to keep THEMSELVES busy! awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...