Skip to main content

Digital memory

I found myself distractedly fingering the place where the bra and bra strap meet the other day. As I waited for the light to change, I realized that I was subconsciously expecting to feel the bump of the breastfeeding clasp under my shirt, anticipating the release of the clasp.  But, alas, that bra is either packed away or was so full of holes it required more drastic action and its requirement is, for the time being at least, unnecessary.

Someone I know who grew up smoking, and finally quit after 20 years, told me once that for a good 15 years after quitting he still reached for his phantom pack in his breast pocket each and every time he got into his car.

I have found myself going to call a friend and stop myself from using a phone number that has been out of service for years.  I always marvel at how my fingers remember passwords that other parts of my brain cannot.  If I am forced to write down a password without a keyboard, I inevitably get it wrong.

The other day I tried to teach my daughter, upon her insistence, how to tie shoelaces.  I tried to do it logically, step-by-step but it was an exercise in frustration for both of us because I kept messing up.  Believe me, I can tie my shoes.  I do it everyday more than once without thinking, even a little.

But she wants to learn. She needs to learn.  I will find a way to remember another way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?