Skip to main content

Rocks and Waiting

We had to wait for a long while recently.  We were waiting for a drive and, as it happens occasionally, we had a long stretch of waiting to play without back up (i.e. money or technology or books). A wedge of dread sat in my heart at first.  Great!  2 kids, $1.35 and about an hour and a half to play with.
At first, the kids were content to make a big project of selecting something from the vending machine for $1.35.  That took about 10 minutes.  Reading all the little signs in the entrance of the building we were waiting in (and spinning on the high stools) took about another 10.  Okay.  Just 1 hour and 10 minutes to go.
Then, the kids decided to go outside.  There is a chain of very interesting boulders just outside the doors.  Voila, 1 hours and 20 minutes vanished without a trace.  The kids did rock climbing, story telling, timing how long they could balance and conducting races from rock to rock.  It turns out there is more to meet the eye when it comes to rocks and waiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?