Skip to main content

Seeking a disguise


My kids are continually coming up with Hallowe'en costume ideas.  And I do mean continually.  I never thought I'd be participating (however unwillingly) in serious Hallowe'en costume brainstorms more than once in the month of April, for example.  The list of possibilities is long and growing everyday. I cannot sew and I can barely tape straight so we are limited in what we can hobble together from the dress up box, second hand store and the grocery store. The possible contenders include: a lamp (a persistent contender), a drain pipe (what is that white tube hanging off the side of the house?), followed by a suggestion that I also be a drain pipe and then we could drain into each other (fun!), a witch's cat (with the proviso that I also be the witch), a scary faced ghost, a vampire, a happy ghost, a spooky ghost, spiderman(again), tiger (again),a spider.

Even as a  young adult who was free to attend boozy dress up parties I had a hard time getting into it.  I loved dressing up to be in plays but I 've always had a harder time mentally pulling off dressing up for Hallowe'en.   For me, there is a disconnect at Hallowe'en. There is less requirement to actually be a character and more emphasis on the costume itself.  Each and every year I make a limited, rather pathetic effort at dressing up.  When my kids were babies, it was enough to show up toting him or her looking adorable as a pumpkin.  At that time, in my winter jacket, my costume was "mom of an adorable pumpkin".  Increasingly, I notice my son's costume ideas involve more than one person, namely me.

Why am I so resistant?  I have a feeling that most costumes and situations I find myself in require half-assed disguises.  I cannot come to work as a full fledged, anonymous vampire.  I feel like if people can recognize me, it is hardly worth the effort.  When I was in theatre, I relished being unrecognizable.  I guess the answer is that I need a character to hide behind to make it fun for me.  I need a disguise and a masked ball to wear it to  to make the hiding behind a mask to feel worth it.  In the meantime, I am going to fully enjoy the exploration of all the possibilities through the eyes of my kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?