Skip to main content

Smooky

Coraline is an impressive movie.  It is not only a beautiful example of animation, but also a powerful tale that easily hooked into my imagination.  Coraline lives in a house that is attached to another house (like ours), except the other door leads into another world that is similar but not identical to the world Coraline knows. Through the other door, her parents look similar but they have button eyes and there are a host of hall-of-mirror-distortions for her to wrap her head around and ultimately escape.  It seemed initially like a benign enough movie for a then 6 year old.  We watched parts of it here and there, always stopping short of watching the whole thing right to the end.  It was a bit of a novelty in her mind for a long while that she had watched most of a scary movie.

However, one fateful day last summer she watched the whole thing, from start to finish.  It turns out that its persuasive powers are strong and that its images took up residence in her imagination.  Ever since, she can't look at a button without wincing.  Poor old Coraline comes up in conversation on a daily basis three months later.   I feel guilt, of course, for allowing her to watch something that, admittedly, even I find a bit spooky, but nothing could have prepared me for how much it has continued to spook her. It is like that not-quite-right  lingering dream that you are still thinking about at 5 p.m. the next day.  I think it boils down to the fact that it is about a girl, about her age, living in an old house that looks a bit like hers.  After all, having what we know turned upside down can be the scariest thing of all, don't you think?

What movie or story has spooked you or your kids out the most?  Why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?