Skip to main content

Food from Nothing

Speak only if it improves upon the silence-Mahatma Gandhi


Inspired by Wife Mother Expletiving, I gave up writing the blog for the month of June.

I wanted to give writing on paper a try.
I cracked the spine of a 5-year-old journal, but I only got as far as writing one sentence, maybe 2. Perhaps, I thought, I need a break from writing altogether. I posted a few photos because I just could not resist, but I did not write.

I turned instead to the garden. The lush, overgrown patch of grass, mud and decrepit perennials that I have ignored for several years. I will let you , kind reader, fill in all the metaphorical blanks.

One day we ate outside and then we ate outside again and again. Then the kids set up a fun fair in the back yard and so it began, an almost daily ritual of being in the back yard.  The back door stood open, the bees and the hornets ran riot.  We ate and played and I spread manure around.  I planted three tiny herb plants and a tomato plant. Their tiny green shoots went into salads and adorned plates. I had rescued a neighbourhood rhubarb plant last year and it got re-planted in one of the two empty beds.

I started to wake up in the morning picturing those tiny green fellows waist high in dark black soil.  With each rainfall, I'd visualize the nutrients dripping drop by healthy dollop down into the veins of the plant.

I would feel tired after work and resist going out there, but then I would, and within minutes, I had that satisfying burn of physical labour that typing emails and blogging rarely produces.

I nurtured real live plants and not just pictures of them for a whole month. I spent time with my kids without thinking once about what it all means or excavating my experiences. I still took a lot of photographs, but being physical outside for a period each day renewed my devotion to nurturing living things.

There are so many metaphors I could use I suppose. But growing food in a once neglected back yard is the best one I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

The words coming out of my mouth

  These days I wear a mask. I don't wear a mask all of the time, only when I am indoors or unavoidably up close with people who I don't usually interact with.  I wear one when I am ordering things, or buying things or attempting to enjoy some form of public entertainment.  I cannot rely on reading others lips. My lips are hidden. We ask each other to repeat.  We move our eyes or our whole heads to try and enunciate more clearly.  I say fewer words, more carefully chosen words behind the mask. Sometimes that is helpful, sometimes that just causes more confusion. I walked into the woods. I did not need a mask.  I only saw a few other people and they were distanced. Masks were unnecessary. After so much talking and not talking and avoiding talking out loud I am forced to examine when I speak and when I choose not to. This is not a bad thing since I can be an insufferable chatter box, just a new thing for my brain to adjust itself to. When I am not standing aro...

Balloon request

Recently, my kids attended a magic show at their friend's party.  At the very end, the magician asked each child to select a balloon and encouraged each child to come forward and request it be shaped into one of the following: -a giraffe -a monkey -a puppy -a sword After numerous requests for swords and an occasional monkey, my son was the very last child to make a request. Oblivious to the pre-selected options, he put a great deal of careful thought into what would be the coolest balloon shaped object.  He looked up at the magician, passed him his balloon and asked him if he could make him a sweater. If you could defy physics and find a magical balloon artist, what would you request?