Skip to main content

A quick bread girl turns the page

Around the age of 9 or 10, I learned how to make pancakes.
I began a career of making "quick breads".  I slowly perfected the pancake temperature, committed the recipe to memory. Now I make them once a week without blinking.

The role yeast plays in baking consistently did not get through to me.
Baking soda,baking powder, those were my leaveners of choice.
They were the ingredients that were accessible, uncomplicated and within my technical grasp.
If I did use yeast, which I occasionally felt compelled to do when I attempted pizza dough, it was yet another frustrated reason why I was not a yeast bread girl. I rushed it, I tried to make a "yeast bread" project into a "quick bread" project.

This summer, I finally decided to revive an old family recipe, my grandmother's french rolls.  Their airiness still lingers on my tongue, 30 years after I last had one.

I googled a recipe and reluctantly invested in a whole bottle of yeast.

I faithfully followed the instructions. For once, I resisted making these rolls into quick (but not airy) rolls.

The yeast surprised me. As it first warmed, came to life, it frothed and multiplied. I enjoyed seeing it spread.

I heard someone say, "let the yeast do the work".

I kneaded it for the 8 minutes as they suggested, I let it sit for an hour, it doubled.

It pulled apart in a soft luscious way that quick breads never did.

The yeast indeed did the work.

The yeast reminded me that I don't have to do everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo