Skip to main content

I can be trusted with plants


For several years, since I have had kids, the concept of house plants in my care has been so overwhelming I flat out refused to have them in the house.  A non-talking being needing care and tending on top of my staggering caring load was inconceivable. The few times that a straggler got through the front door, I was burdened by guilt as they slowly failed to thrive and die a parched, neglected death.  As the roots dried out, I treated it , if at all, like another piece of clutter.  Before I thought of watering it, I'd wonder, should I dust it?


Lately, I have started caring for plants again. My childcare duties have been alleviated , the kids can now dress themselves, have a solid concept of time and can feed themselves.  There is now a little wedge in the pie chart for plants. My good friend brought me three charming characters a few weeks ago. I have learned somethings from taking care of them.  They are alive. they are alive like me. And like me, they need water.  Having plants in my life, especially healthy, low maintenance overachievers like these, is a healthy addition to my living space.They are model roommates.  Instead of constantly feeling like I'm letting them down, they nudge me towards watering myself. "I miles well pour a glass a water for myself while I am watering you", I think. "How rich is this soil you are in?"

Their life reminds me about mine.  They are constant reminders about what I need to stay alive and thrive.  Drink water.  Soak up sun.  Be cared for.  For a long time, I thought I shouldn't be trusted with plants.  I didn't think I was the right person to care for them.  I didn't realize that they are meant to care for me too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo