Skip to main content

Circuit breaker



Did you know that our inner voice starts speaking to us at age 2?
Before that, maybe the voice is learning to speak our language or is very very quiet. Or maybe, it is listening intently to everything we are listening to.

After that it has a habit of talking over us, at us, commanding us, issuing judgements and nattering away. It is very used to being ignored.

We are told to listen to our inner voice.  There are times when I do not hear it at all. Sometimes she won't shut up.  Apparently, according to research, she's not always trustworthy. We know from experience it is rarely kind. We learn to tune her out or channel  or amplify her.  Most of the time I like what she has to say,even the smart ass comments. She feeds me great lines.

The other day I felt completely lost.  I mean really really stranded on a street with no name, without a passport in a new town.  The voice was gone.  I thought, it is time to turn off the netflix and get in a car and drive to the beach.  The wires were dangling and fizzing on the way out of town.

I walked down a path parallel with the ocean and I let my inner voice signal to me when it was time to take one of the many foot paths to the ocean.  I walked a little further and the signal came. What was the signal, what words? Don't know. I meandered towards the shore and as I stood on the edge of the grass, two people yelled up at me.  Friends! I scrambled down the hill and chatted with them.  After they left I sat on the sand and watched the surfers tumble with the waves.

I climbed into the car, the wires were synced and pulsing. I guess that voice isn't so unreliable after all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A 5 minute challenge

WifeMotherExpletive  extended an invitation I could not refuse: " Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking" on the word, Real . real is what I always strive to be.  in a hurry to be as real as possible, I've overlooked so much.  I have denied myself things that would have helped me understand things better.  real, but real for who? as I age, I want to be more real to me because I suspect that there will be many surprises. hard to believe that I will be surprised since I have lived with myself for 36 , going on 37 years, but I don't doubt it for one minute.  Honesty is where I falter.  I can achieve "real" (does it qualify as real if it is in quotation marks) but it may not be true.  In general, I want things to be tied up in a package and smooth even it is too jagged to fit.  I want this, I know that to be real, it cannot happen but I think true is what I need to really aim for.  I know some things are tru...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?