Skip to main content

Circuit breaker



Did you know that our inner voice starts speaking to us at age 2?
Before that, maybe the voice is learning to speak our language or is very very quiet. Or maybe, it is listening intently to everything we are listening to.

After that it has a habit of talking over us, at us, commanding us, issuing judgements and nattering away. It is very used to being ignored.

We are told to listen to our inner voice.  There are times when I do not hear it at all. Sometimes she won't shut up.  Apparently, according to research, she's not always trustworthy. We know from experience it is rarely kind. We learn to tune her out or channel  or amplify her.  Most of the time I like what she has to say,even the smart ass comments. She feeds me great lines.

The other day I felt completely lost.  I mean really really stranded on a street with no name, without a passport in a new town.  The voice was gone.  I thought, it is time to turn off the netflix and get in a car and drive to the beach.  The wires were dangling and fizzing on the way out of town.

I walked down a path parallel with the ocean and I let my inner voice signal to me when it was time to take one of the many foot paths to the ocean.  I walked a little further and the signal came. What was the signal, what words? Don't know. I meandered towards the shore and as I stood on the edge of the grass, two people yelled up at me.  Friends! I scrambled down the hill and chatted with them.  After they left I sat on the sand and watched the surfers tumble with the waves.

I climbed into the car, the wires were synced and pulsing. I guess that voice isn't so unreliable after all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo