Skip to main content

The night to walk in shadows (and weather)

Tiny hairs are going up on tiny necks.  They are embracing the night and the nocturnal animals and the role playing until tomorrow night(probably all this preparation will have a lingering effect for a while after that).
My son has grasped counting down thanks to Hallowe'en.  He keeps us up to date on how close the big night is.  Both kids are primed and ready to be finally ready for whatever it this night of walking in shadows (not to mention gusts of wind and rain) has to offer.
After all the hype and 2 (and counting) Hallowe'en parties and planning and revising of Hallowe'en costumes, it is almost finally here--along with a post-tropical storm.  The good thing about this weather is that the long underwear and snowsuits are not required, although the rain boots, and potentially, a recycling bag with a head and arm holes cut out of it will be in order,but it will all hardly deter us.  I look forward to finding out what my son will be for Hallowe'en.  I do not expect to know what he will be until we head out tomorrow night. He has plenty of options.  Last check he wondered how he could dress up to be a bag.  So, like I said, we'll see.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...