Skip to main content

S is for Stabilizing

I have developed this insatiable hankering for Banh Mi sandwich. Banh Mi means baguette in Vietnamese.  The crunch of the pickles and the pleasing tang of the cilantro that gets me every time. I discovered a vegan variety a few weeks ago at the recently opened Wild Leek and now I have been high tailing it there every chance I get.  It is almost a problem.

My Banh Mi budget is almost exceeding my regular, everything else budget.

The other evening, I went to another place called Indochine.  They too specialize in Banh Mi sandwiches.  As I staggered towards the restaurant door with my friend in the pouring rain, I almost tripped over myself getting to the counter. The saliva was forming and I could almost taste the crunch and savour the sour ting of it on my lips.  As I raced to order yet another Banh Mi sandwich, my friend exclaimed that it was a soup kind of night.

Silently, I curled around my Banh Mi sandwich thoughts with a protectiveness that bordered on churlish.
She pointed out that there was a half Banh Mi and a soup option.  I relented, yes, soup probably would be good too. It was chilly. I was chilled. For all of Banh Mi sandwich's other redeeming qualities, warming someone up was not one of them.

And you know what? That soup was terrific. It cooled my Banh Mi feverishness as it warmed my belly. It was like a vegetable nourished saline that slowed down my heart rate and kept my blood sugar steady enough that I could concentrate on what turned out to be a very inspiring conversation.

As I ate, the soup slowed me up. It revived me in a way that a Banh Mi sandwich on its own, wolfed down in 6 bites, would not have.  I need to eat slower.  Fast eating is clouding my judgement and impairing my conversation skills. Instead of cramming phrases in between bites, I had soup to pace my times listening, thinking and contributing.  As a bonus, I enjoyed the half Banh Mi sandwich even more than usual. The soup stabilized me for the Banh Mi. For the sake of my happiness and my pancreas and my friendships, I am going to order and make soup more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo