Skip to main content

Living Room





I just got back from a trip to New York city, even though it is relatively close to my city, I had not been there before.  It was up until a few weeks ago, only a legend, a character in a storybook.

I had an amazing time and I felt like the subway was the wardrobe in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I would descend into a tunnel and emerge into the light in a very different neighbourhood than the one I had just left.

The scale of such a densely packed city as Manhattan was a bit mind blowing. I have been to big cities before, but it was quite different than some of the bigger ones I have been.  For one thing, a city like New Delhi really lives inside out.  Poverty and lavish wealth sit side by side.  The same is true in NY but both the wealth and poverty are more concealed in NYC.  It was hard to conceptualize that above our heads at any given moment, there were thousands of people living in apartments (some closet sized, some house sized).  There was a lot going on, so much so, I will never get to see it all, but it made me think about how I live in my tame, quiet city.  I live indoors a lot of the time. I sit behind a computer and  less frequently than I should , venture outside to play or relax or walk to visit. The first morning back to work after my trip, I was struck at how empty the streets were. Even on busy days, the scale of traffic is not comparable.

In NYC, I got the sense that  a lot of the living room was outside--in parks, in restaurants, in libraries and schools and workplaces, even the street.  Apartments , even nice ones are small , and the living gets done outside of them, no matter how "Friends" has misled us about the scale of apartments in the West Village.

As I approach summer, I relish the chance to be comfortable living outside again for a while.  There is so much room, even more than I thought, to live in.  I will try to find living room more outside than in.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo