Skip to main content

Stray

It all started one day on the walk home from the grocery store. My son picked up a stick off the ground that vaguely resembled a dog on a leash and he proceeded to walk "it" home.  He insisted on having me do "the voice".  All the way home, his new friend told him about his life up in the trees and his abrupt relocation to the ground and to a new neighbourhood.  The stray stick explained that he was excited to move to a new neighbourhood that he had only smelled before and heard about through the trees.  My son promised his new charge that he had two kitties at home and that they would all have a lot of fun together.

When we got to the Pride Parade the other day, the stick obediently waited up against a building while we enjoyed the parade, and then we gingerly walked him through the crowds, careful not to poke out any eyes on the way back home.

This morning, he found yet another little guy who also has a very good knack for smelling his destination.  He told my son that he could smell ladybugs and yellow shirts (I have a yellow shirt!), bagels (they have bagels at my preschool!) and angry bird toys (I have one in my pocket!). I was made to promise to collect his stick on my way out the door of preschool and take him to work.  "Don't worry, you can sleep at mama's work".

I have come to learn a lot through these stick dog mediated talks.  I have learned what fun can be had for sticks and boys at home (they are all living it up under the porch) and what my work is like (there is some lego there) and what daycare is like (you can sleep and eat there, but I'm not allowed to sleep.)

Dog sticks are loyal and make walking fun, especially ones who can detect that distinct smell of angry bird toys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo