Skip to main content

Cyril Blakeney #hashtag

Cyril Blakeney died in 1973, 1 1/2 years before I was born and 25 years before his oldest grandchild got an email account.

He was a family man, a business owner and a collector of treasures.  His dad died in the Halifax explosion and he worked hard from an early age to help support his mom while she raised three kids.  He was my grandfather and we never got to meet but he often enters my mind.  He lived his whole life in the same city I do.  I have lived in his home. My kids walk around his neighbourhood everyday.  I know people who go to his church.   I know the streets he walked like the back of my hand. I just don't have any memories of him directly.

Up until recently, the house that he and my grandmother had raised my mom in from babyhood to university graduate was still in our family and I could get little glimpses of evidence even 36 years later that he had lived there, done the books at the kitchen table, stashed treasures in the basement, and sat with Olive watching the news.  I also recently got acquainted with the Barnstead's drug store building which he used to own and,  upon looking through the nooks and crannies, discovered some hint of the business and, in my imagination, the man.  Mostly, I just have my mom's fond memories.

(Photo courtesy of G. Ramsey)

One would think that social media would have little to do with my grandfather.  It did not exist when he was living, he can't participate in it, but somehow, lately, I 've felt called to bring his name and others into circulation.  Social media is so much a part of how we express ourselves and make sense of ourselves that leaving out ancestors seems like a huge oversight.

The NS archives called for people to share memories from the Halifax Explosion on twitter.  Of course, not only do not I not have any memories of him, but I obviously do not have memories of the explosion.  Mind you, not many people do.  I felt compelled to tweet his name next to #hfxex1917. I got the facts a bit wrong but the naming of him and his father felt right.

Back in the summer, I spent a fair amount of time acquainting myself with the old Barnstead's building and its neighbourhood.  It had been there all along but somehow I hadn't realized that. I finally got to go inside and amble through it. One afternoon, when I was in the neighbourhood, I took a detour so I could walk in front of this building that will soon be transformed into the facade of a bank.  On impulse, I took a picture of me standing at the front door and plopped a pin into my iphone, locating me at "Barnstead's Drug Store".  I reported it on Facebook. I acknowledged, via social media, that once this spot, this exact location, was the site of Barnstead's Drug Store.  It existed, even if GPS never had any role in locating it before, it can be now. Before social media, where would I have "dropped a pin"?  Would I, or my kids, have been able to find it again years later on purpose?

Dropping a pin made second hand memories, coordinates on a map.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo