Monk's Meal



"Sound imposes a narrative on you, and it’s always someone else’s narrative." -George Prochnik, In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a world of Noise






When I was about 6 years old, my parents invented a new strategy to deal with the cacophony of noise at the dinner table.  When the questions and talking just got too overwhelming, they would declare that we would be having a Monk's meal.  By this, they meant we were meant to eat in silence.  Because it had a name, it was relatively easy for my brother and I to buy into the ploy and we would continue the meal in silence.  We got it, they were tired of the noise, and it was time for quiet.  Now that I have kids, I completely understand why they started this ritual and I have started using this with them.    


What rituals do you have to create silence?  

Comments

Popular Posts