Skip to main content

A twitter novel, part one of a thousand.


A lot of famous writers published their novels first in serial form in the newspaper of the day. Charles Dickens published The Pickwick Papers one chapter at a time.
I was reminded of  this the other day after a morning of debauchery, feeling slightly ill, bingeing on one episode after another of Call the Midwife and compulsively scrolling through a random smattering of tweets on Twitter.

When I re-read The Stranger by Albert Camus last year I read it with newly twitter-conditioned eyes. I was keenly aware that his main character Meursault, who was hatched fully grown into a world that was questioning all the conventions that had governed life before. Perhaps there is no narrative, or morality post-modernism posited, perhaps life is just a series of random decisions and choices that make up our reality.  For this reason, this story of a post-modern poster man, who ends up killing a man because he gets irritated by hot sun,(just another decision in a long line of others), could have easily been converted into a long string of tweets.


I drink a coffee.
The sun is hot.
I killed a man.
I like Coldplay's old stuff.
The stars are so bright from my jail cell.

I decided to try and use Twitter to help me write in a straight line.  Producing one heavily edited sentence each day might lead me somewhere. Or not.
I am going to write the first 365 sentences and then re-evaluate.
If nothing else, it will force me to choose my words very carefully.

Follow along if you like, @PenNameDuJour
I can't promise it will be quick. Or straightforward.

Here's the first one to whet your whistle.

She clenched the key so hard , it created a ridge along her palm, the same palm she had just had read less than an hour before.
— A Novel Approach (@PenNameDuJour) May 15, 2014




Comments

  1. ooh, its a good one. i can't follow twitter, but i hope to get glimpses here... rah! for the attempt, and the commitment. !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

The words coming out of my mouth

  These days I wear a mask. I don't wear a mask all of the time, only when I am indoors or unavoidably up close with people who I don't usually interact with.  I wear one when I am ordering things, or buying things or attempting to enjoy some form of public entertainment.  I cannot rely on reading others lips. My lips are hidden. We ask each other to repeat.  We move our eyes or our whole heads to try and enunciate more clearly.  I say fewer words, more carefully chosen words behind the mask. Sometimes that is helpful, sometimes that just causes more confusion. I walked into the woods. I did not need a mask.  I only saw a few other people and they were distanced. Masks were unnecessary. After so much talking and not talking and avoiding talking out loud I am forced to examine when I speak and when I choose not to. This is not a bad thing since I can be an insufferable chatter box, just a new thing for my brain to adjust itself to. When I am not standing aro...

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...