Skip to main content

flyer shopping

Five Christmases ago I lived in the country. I lived behind a line of tall trees, down a long stretch of secondary highway. I had a wee baby and a three year old.  That year, when Christmas came around, if I couldn't get a present at the grocery store on the weekends or at the Sears catalogue place "in town", I didn't get it. Pretty much. I had no vehicle through the week, and at the urging of a neighbour, I signed up for "the flyers". At first I was skeptical. I thought, aren't flyers the bane of our existence these days?  We're losing forests to flyers.  When I had lived in the city I had indignantly posted my "please no flyers" sign.  That all changed during the first round of flyers.  I had a tiny baby at the time, and at the urging of people I was listening to, I read everything to her, including the flyers.

I would make a coffee and settle into "the flyers".

Shopping was an abstraction living out there in the country.

A picture in a newspaper, a constantly fluctuating price attached to a picture.

Tonight, I got access to someone's city flyers.  I hadn't had a gander through them in a few years.  It was great, shopping that way again. No winter coat to cart around. No whiny kids to placate and no money spent on a whim.

Flyer shopping is not so bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo