Skip to main content

This is how you play chess.


Grandpa wants to play a game....

Grandpa asks 6 year old: “Do you want to have a game?" 6 year old begins: “Ahhh....!"

3 year old interrupts: "I do! ! I’ll pay! Can I play?"

Grandpa (holding a small clear plastic box) asks: "Do you know how to play checkers" (flipping over the game) "or chess"?

6 year old interjects: "I, ahhh, think I know how checkers work."

“Me too! “, jumps in 3 year old, "I wanna play . . .THIS GAME" (He tries to take the top off of the chess set)

6 year old moves away from the table. "I don’t want to play,"  she decides.

3 year old eagerly says ,"What‘s this?"

Grandpa: "You get up in this chair, and I‘ll teach you!"

Grandpa: "Maybe we should play checkers?"

3 year old: "No, I want to play with these things!"

Grandpa tries to set up the board with the figures in their right places but 3 year old keeps moving them.

"Okay, this is a knight. This Knight goes in this direction two places then in this direction one.
This is a Queen and this is a king. These pawns move straight ahead like this. You can go two places first then only one place after..."

3 year old tries to pry the bottom of the box open and the pieces fall from the bottom of the box onto the floor.

"What do these do? They are bigger and all the same?"

Grandpa says,”Let's find the pieces and set the board okay?!”...

-Guest Blogger, Grandpa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...