Skip to main content

Twenty Years



Within two days, 20 years ago, 30 workers in our province either lost their lives abruptly and violently or in the case of one of them, had their life brutally altered.  The Sydney River McDonald's murders happened first on May 7, 1992, ending the lives of 3 young people and permanently disabling a fourth.  Two days later, 26 miners were killed when the Westray Mine exploded due to lax adherence to safety standards by the mine management. It was the most deadly coal mine explosion since the Springhill disaster in 1958.  Both radically changed forever the lives of many families and communities.

The McDonald's murders were committed during a botched robbery by one of the victims' co-workers and his friends. They made off with $2017.

And who forgot to let the canary out?
Westray, Weeping Tile


The Westray Mine explosion, it was later determined, was the fault of the owner and managers of the mine for allowing the dangerous conditions in the mine to persist without thought or care of the miners' health and safety and ultimately, lives.

Looking back today, to a time when I was still in high school, I cannot believe that these two terrible events happened so close in time to one another.  There was so much loss and brutality in both cases, how did their families and their communities bear it? How can we care for each other's lives enough so that these kinds of crimes no longer happen?  There are so many more questions than answers, still, after 20 years.

When U2 came to our neck of the woods last summer, Bono made us take a collective intake of breath when he sang the Springhill Mining Disaster Song.  It tells the story of a disaster that, along with these more recent tragedies, is indelibly stamped on our collective memory.

All three of these terrible events are wounds in our collective hearts.








Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo