Skip to main content

Do you want to join the circus?

On the way to school on Monday morning, we were all a little taken aback when we cast ours eyes upon the very green hill behind the school.  For a couple of weeks until then, we had come to take for granted the first fluffy layer and later, sheen of icy, snow.  It was a source of very free entertainment and it provided a much needed pressure valve to our house/school/office bound days.  Suddenly, it was gone. Despite its brief tenure, the school grounds looked like they were missing something crucial.  It felt a little like there had been a circus tent erected next door that had provided hours of free shows and excitement and a place to head to escape normal life.  And now, it appeared a team of carnies had come in the night and taken down the tent and moved on.  All that was left was the last crust of crunchy crusts of snow for cracking.

This morning, a promise of another snowfall is in the air.  My son announced that a bicycle sled would be a fantastic invention (I agree).   The circus is coming back to town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

Bringing her back

 As the first anniversary finally passed, I exhaled.  The sadness still nibbled away at the edges, but not clawing deep into my chest like it had been with varying degrees of ferocity in the twelve months previously.  She died in early summer, so I plunged into ocean and lakes and ate fruit straight from the plant.  The grief became softer, the folk songs carried me along in the potato patch we planted in therapy. But then, I started to miss her.  The deep grief kept her so close and now as the pressure eased, so did her presence.  I held my breath and decided to be really sad this morning just to see her face.  To sit in her prescence.  My breath became jagged as I cried for her, for us.   This Taylor Swift cover  by Marc Maron broke me right open this morning.  Here's to staying broken open enough to keep your loved ones close. And then, I walked into her garden. The garden she envisionied, planted over and over and still pre...

the words fell out

 Despite being an introvert, I do often process big life events (and many many small ones) out loud by verbally hashing out my thoughts with whoever will put up with me. But this morning when I woke up to the big red blotch on the U.S. map...all my /the words fell out.  They fell out unsaid, unformed. Got to work and probably , in another time, would have annoyed my co-workers, dominating the conversation with my verbal extrusions, but not today. I just mutely stared across at them and nodded. My dad came for lunch.  Normally, we relish a good political diatribe, especially when we feel sure of our perspective, but this time, all I could do was munch on fries and marvel at all the unarticulated thoughts that I was not even bothering to retrieve. The silence inside me was noticeable.  Social media was awash with reactions and I just looked away. I couldn't bear to read one word about it. I was not receptive to any reactions,  accusations, reflections,  words...