Skip to main content

Custard Cream and Turkish Delight

When I was about 8, my mom read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe out loud to me.  I can still picture a stand alone wardrobe positioned to the right of the entrance of a stark whitewashed room across from a single window, through which the children travelled into a magical world.  

Beyond that, the only other thing I remember is the emphasis put on Turkish delight.  It was a really big deal in that book.

I was drooling listening to it being described and by the end of it, I couldn't stop thinking about it.  It seemed like a delectable treasure drenched in sugar that would be well beyond my expectations.

One day, my mom went to the city and came back with some Turkish delight.  It did not meet my expectations. The disappointment was staggering. What?  Sure it is drenched in sugar, but as far as I was concerned, there was a reason for that, it wouldn't be particularly edible without it.

"Edmund  was already feeling uncomfortable from having eaten too many sweets, and when he heard that the Lady he had made friends with was a dangerous witch he felt even more uncomfortable. But he still wanted to taste that Turkish Delight more than he wanted anything else."  The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis

It turns out the reason the Turkish delight sounded so irresistible is that it was a magical concoction with which a wicked witch was plying vulnerable children.  No wonder I was convinced it sounded so great. It was a trick.

Good thing I didn't go through that wardrobe. I'd have been sunk.


This weekend I have been devouring a cosy book set in modern day England.  The author keeps bringing up custard creams and tea cakes I just had to try them.  Unlike Turkish Delights, the tea cakes especially, were better than they sounded. 

How about you?  What food have you been compelled to try after reading about it in a book?





Comments

  1. *just* this christmas, i tried turkish delight for the first time. i tried to get my kids in on the magical nature of the things... but to no avail... i have to say i was very very excited to take that first bite. i think i expected to be whisked away just as it touched my tongue...oh how i loved those stories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i was expecting the whisking away too...however, those tea cakes, man. They are really like high class viva puffs (I don't know what the American equivalent is), but yes, reading someone else's impressions of anything in a book can carry me away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Craft

I accompanied my mother-in-law to an appointment this week. On the paper, preparing her for the appointment, it invited her bring along something to read or a small craft. As soon as I heard about this invitation to bring a small craft into an otherwise austere waiting area, my mind started to do bouncing somersaults in many different directions. Googly eyes? Glue gun? Feathers? Play clay? Friendship braclets?

The words coming out of my mouth

  These days I wear a mask. I don't wear a mask all of the time, only when I am indoors or unavoidably up close with people who I don't usually interact with.  I wear one when I am ordering things, or buying things or attempting to enjoy some form of public entertainment.  I cannot rely on reading others lips. My lips are hidden. We ask each other to repeat.  We move our eyes or our whole heads to try and enunciate more clearly.  I say fewer words, more carefully chosen words behind the mask. Sometimes that is helpful, sometimes that just causes more confusion. I walked into the woods. I did not need a mask.  I only saw a few other people and they were distanced. Masks were unnecessary. After so much talking and not talking and avoiding talking out loud I am forced to examine when I speak and when I choose not to. This is not a bad thing since I can be an insufferable chatter box, just a new thing for my brain to adjust itself to. When I am not standing aro...

Balloon request

Recently, my kids attended a magic show at their friend's party.  At the very end, the magician asked each child to select a balloon and encouraged each child to come forward and request it be shaped into one of the following: -a giraffe -a monkey -a puppy -a sword After numerous requests for swords and an occasional monkey, my son was the very last child to make a request. Oblivious to the pre-selected options, he put a great deal of careful thought into what would be the coolest balloon shaped object.  He looked up at the magician, passed him his balloon and asked him if he could make him a sweater. If you could defy physics and find a magical balloon artist, what would you request?